In simple and easy terms, we can define digital learning as any type of learning that is facilitated by technology or by instructional practice that makes effective and best use of technology. Digital learning is more than just providing students with a laptop. Digital learning requires a combination of technology, digital content and instruction.
Or we can say digital learning is “learning facilitated by technology that gives students some element of control over time, place, path or pace”.
Some of the pros of digital technology in present times are:
- Easy access and ability to adapt user’s preference.
- Gamification type learning environment
- There are no location or time constraints.
- Interactive environment and active audience participation.
- No outdated learning material.
- Limited socio-economic constraints.
- Global reach
- Digital learning is basically the summation of three terms i.e. Technology, Digital content, Instruction.
- Technology: Technology is just a tool, not the instruction and this technology is the main source to deliver content and facilitates how the content should be received by the students. The delivery of content can be done by Internet access and hardware (like laptop, mobile, iPad, smartphone, desktop).
- Digital Content: The high quality academic material which is delivered with the help of technology, it is what students learn. The digital content includes interactive and adaptive software, classic literature, videos, games etc. The simple pdf or text or PowerPoint presentation is not the digital content.
- Instruction: Technology may change the role of the teacher but it can never eliminate the need of the teacher. Educators or teachers are essential to digital learning, with the digital learning teachers will be able to provide personalized guidance ad assistance to ensure students learn and stay on track.